In everyday language, we use the terms ‘farting’ or ‘passing gas’ to refer to the condition of Flatulence. Interestingly and often embarrassingly, it is accompanied by a crackling or trumpeting sound and grabs unwanted attention towards the source of such sounds.
This passing of gas is a normal by products of the process of digestion. On an average, an individual tends to flatulate about 20-60 times every night because the anal sphincter is relaxed during the process of sleeping. Incomplete digestion or indigestible foods are the chief causes of Flatulence. Flatulence can be voluntary or involuntary.
Milk, beans, cabbage, oats and a host of other foods can be attributed for causing this embarrassing problem. Consumption of foods like meat and eggs and certain bacteria may release stinky odor while the passing of gas through Flatulence. Flatulence is generally not a serious problem, but a proper treatment may be needed in case of excessive Flatulence. This treatment can be favorably carried out with the help of natural home remedies for Flatulence.
Causes and Symptoms of Flatulence
Chemical reactions during the process of digestion and certain bacteria lead to Flatulence. Excessive Flatulence mostly indicates an underlying digestive problem. At times, an abundance of bacteria in the digestive tract or colon may lead to increased in Flatulence.
Other factors include fructose intolerance, lactose intolerance, peptic ulcers, Irritable bowel syndrome, food allergies, gallstones, swallowing too much air, smoking and intake of foods like beans, fatty foods, potatoes, prunes, pulses etc. Besides, medicines such as antibiotics can also cause more Flatulence. A high fat diet, mal absorption of fats, sugar free sweets and chewing gums may lead to the same result.
The most obvious symptom of Flatulence is an uncontrollable and repeated urge to pass gas. The condition could be accompanied by constipation or diarrhea.
Belching, bloating, and rumbling in the lower abdomen are often accompanied by Flatulence.
Natural Home Remedies for Flatulence
• Take one teaspoon of dry ginger, one teaspoon of green cardamom seeds and an equal amount of pepper. Take half a teaspoon of this mixture in some water one hour after having a meal. This therapeutic home remedy is of the most efficient natural home remedies for Flatulence.
• Sprinkling some rosemary herb on gassy foods helps to reduce their ill effects thereby reducing Flatulence.
• After meals, chewing ginger slices soaked in lemon juice helps in preventing Flatulence.
• Peppermint serves as a valuable natural remedy to cure Flatulence.
• Mix half a teaspoon of dry ginger powder, a pinch of asafetida and a pinch of rock salt in a cup of warm water. Drinking this mixture acts as an effective remedy used for gas Flatulence treatment.
• Prepare a paste of juice extracted form betel leaves and honey. Consume this paste to avoid Flatulence.
• Cloves, fennel seeds, coriander and cardamom seeds are excellent home remedies for Flatulence. They can be used while cooking foods or while preparing tea.
• Taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before going to sleep is highly beneficial in dealing with Flatulence caused by gas.
• Taking a teaspoon of honey mixed with a drop of dill oil after meals is regarded as a valuable cure used in the course of Flatulence treatment.
• Mix the juices extracted from ginger and a clove of garlic and dilute the juice in some lukewarm water. Drinking this mixture is a very popular and equally effective natural home remedy used to cure and prevent Flatulence.
• Massaging the abdomen with warm olive oil or sesame oil helps to relieve Flatulence and gas related symptoms.
• Consuming fenugreek seeks fried in butter is beneficial in curing Flatulence and other gastric problems.
• Boil some water and add tamarind juice in it. Mix some sugar and drink this solution to eliminate Flatulence caused by constipation.
• Herbal teas like the ones prepared from aniseed, mint, ginger, chamomile, cloves, basil leaves, sage etc are excellent home remedies for Flatulence.
• Mix tamarind powder and salt in lukewarm water and drink it to heal this problem.
• Regularly drinking a glass of sugarcane juice mixed with one teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of rock salt is an excellent natural remedy that helps to cure Flatulence slowly but steadily.
• Other home remedies for Flatulence involve the incorporation of certain remdial measures like chewing the food properly, not drinking water till about 15 minutes after meals, having meals at proper intervals, not indulging in overeating, not drinking water while eating etc. All these simple steps help to decrease Flatulence to a great extent.
Diet for Flatulence
As mentioned earlier, Flatulence results from improper digestion. Therefore, the diet to control or avoid Flatulence should focus on foods that aid in proper digestion. Fruits like papaya and pineapple should be positively included in the diet to get rid of Flatulence and gas. It has been observed that eating small meals at regular meals is better than eating heavy meals 2-3 times a day.
In some cases, people have benefited by changing their diet. Experts recommend that while introducing or increasing fibrous foods in the diet, one should be cautious and introduce this change gradually in order to avoid Flatulence, gas and other digestive problems.
It is better to avoid the consumption of aerated drinks because they have a tendency to cause gas problems. Whole grain cereals, beans, broccoli, potatoes, cauliflower, prunes, cabbage, certain pulses, fermented foods such as breads and cakes, fruits like bananas, apples and grapes, sauces, eggs, meat, milk and milk products and similar products are known to contribute in causing Flatulence and gas. One need not eliminate these items altogether but consume them wisely depending on the ability of one’s digestive system. Similarly, oily and spicy foods should be avoided as far as possible.