Microdermabrasion is a process where the skin is sand blasted by using a controlled flow of microcrystal. The process involves a mild to moderate mechanical peel and is sometimes referred to as lunchtime peel. This mild invasive procedure is safe, quick, convenient, and has been proved effective for all types of skin colors and types. It gives a brighter and smoother appearance to any skin area that requires exfoliation. The main purpose of this procedure is to polish the outermost layer of the skin and get rid of the dead or dull skin. It is one of the best facial anti-aging skin care treatments.
When compared to other skin care options such as dermabrasion and chemical peel, the main advantage of microdermabrasion is the ease of operation. It is much better than the laser therapy and is inexpensive. It can treat any problem areas on the skin and is quick and effective. In addition to these benefits, following are the other benefits of microdermabrasion:
1) Microdermabrasion helps in removing fine lines, wrinkles, blemished skin, dead skin, etc. It helps in the treatment of brown spots, enlarged pores as well.
2) It also helps in the treatment of acne and acne scars that are not very deep.
3) Little or no discomfort is involved with this treatment and there is no down time required for recovery.
4) A major advantage of this treatment is that patients can still continue with other exfoliation therapy and retinoids.
5) This process can be administered at home with a microdermabrasion kit as it does not requires any anaesthesia.
However, it must be kept in mind that microdermabrasion cannot remove tattoos, major acne scarring, other deep scars or deep wrinkles. It only helps in treating the skin’s outer layer. Though the patients might experience some redness but as such there are no serious side effects as the treatment is limited only to the skin’s outer layer. The treatment usually lasts for about 20-30 minutes.