Travelling with a child is something that many parents find trying. This is mainly because attending to a child's needs can be really challenging. Having a child with you during travel can be more demanding than having one at home. This is especially true if you are planning a long distance trip. However, you can follow these simple steps to have a fun and enjoyable experience irrespective of your mode of travel.
Tips for travelling with children
- Carry a few of your child's favorite games with you. They can be helpful in keeping your child occupied and he may show lesser signs of restlessness.
- Always carry your child's food with you. Do not overfeed him just before a trip.
- New places can worry your child. Carry your child's favorite toy or possession along to make him feel more at home.
- Whenever possible, travel to a single destination and keep the amount of sight seeing in a day to a minimum. Lengthy travel and too much of sightseeing can be a major source of stress for your child. If you are planning to go to more than one place, consider staying in each place for at least a couple of days. This makes your child more settled.
- Keep talking to your child as much as possible during the travel. Tell him whom he is going to meet or what he can expect to see at the end of the travel.
- Have a lot of healthy snacks ready for your child to munch occasionally. This usually minimises boredom.
- Lookout for signs of stress and frustration in your child.
- If you are spending the nights in a hotel or at a relative's place, try opting for a bed with side rails. If this is not available, do remember to take necessary precautions.
- Always keep a travel kit containing essential first aid accessories ready. Keep some towels and plastic bags ready and easily accessible for use in cases of motion sickness.
- Do not hesitate to ask the airlines or train staff for help, if you really need assistance. They will usually be more than glad to help you.
- Talk to your child's doctor about the travel ahead. Check with your doctor about the precautions to be taken while travelling. Also make a note of the medicines that you should have with you at all times.