Steroids and a number of other drugs are not free from side effects. Every type of drugs has one or the other side effects. So don’t let yourself get carried away by people trying to lure with side effects free steroids. Steroids should be strictly used under the supervision of a doctor for the treatment of particular diseases and conditions. You must be well aware of the fact that buying steroids without the prescription of the doctor from drugstore is illegal. However, if you move on with the attitude that there is no such thing known as illegal until you get caught then you are only putting your life at the risk of the dangerous side effects of steroids.
Anabolic androgenic steroid are the most common type of steroids that can be easily found in the market. This is the most common type of steroid that most of the youths and athletes use as a result of the temptation to build lean muscle mass, improved performance and to increase their testosterone level. But most of them are unaware of the side effects that may result as the damage within the body does not manifest itself until the hamper is beyond repair.
Read side effects of steroids on athletes.
Thus inorder to spread awareness among the youths it is very important to let them realize the side effects that may even cause sudden deaths.
Read the relationship between steroids and deaths
Following are some of the side effects of steroids on men:
1) Using steroids for an extended period of time may cause infertility and impotency in men. It can result into low sperm count, loss of sexual desire etc.
Though steroids are said to increase the production of testosterone but in the long run, steroid may reverse its course of action.
2) Long term use of steroids may also result in shrunken testis i.e. the size of the testis may be reduced resulting into low production of testosterone, the male sex hormone.
3) With the end of the steroid cycle, the production of androgen in men reduces and that of estrogen increases. This increase in the estrogen level may lead the man to develop physical characteristic of woman such as deposition of fats, development of breasts and soft muscles.
4) Oral steroids may cause liver damages. This steroids when ingested passes through the liver which when broken down by the enzymes may increase the level of the enzymes that might result into liver dysfunction. It can even lead to peliosis hepatitis and jaundice.
5) Enlarged prostrate is another very common side effect that is usually seen in aging man. This is because the increased production of testosterone may cause the male prostrate to grow faster.
6) Acne is another common side effect that is usually seen among the youths.
Steroids lead to the enlargement of the sebaceous gland which causes increased production of oils leading to the outbreak of severe acne.
7) Baldness is another side effect of steroids. The body may convert the excessive amount of unused testosterone into DHT which causes baldness. In addition, it may also lead to the development of several other skin diseases.
Apart from these side effects there are also other side effects such as stunted growth, high blood pressure, heart diseases, osteoporosis, arthritis, kidney failure, high cholesterol level etc.
The side effects of steroids can be so severe that it might even cause deaths.
Though most of the experts explain that once the use of steroid is discontinued the side effects are reversible but there are certain conditions which might cause irreversible, permanent side effects. Discontinue your steroid dosage if you experience nausea, heart palpitation, breathing difficulty, vomiting etc. and consult your doctor immediately.