As far as migraine treatments are concerned there is no particular cure but there are a number of ways which include proper medical care and helping yourself that helps in the treatment of the attack. However, to rule out an effective treatment plan it is important to recognize the things that trigger migraine, initiate a healthy lifestyle and use medications or other alternative treatment methods. The medications that are used to treat other conditions can also be used for the treatment of migraines.
The medications that are prescribed for the treatment for migraines can be classified into two categories namely abortive and preventive treatments.
Abortive treatment is also known as acute treatment, pain relieving medications etc. These medications are general taken to stop the symptoms that already started. Preventive treatments, on the other hand, are generally, taken to reduce the severity of the migraine and to help in the prevention of the condition.
Other than this, there are other alternative treatments that are much better than the medications and are quite effective. Some of these treatments are as follows:
1) Chiropractic treatment: This is one method which uses holistic methods to pain relief. Massage, spinal manipulation, periodic adjustment of joints and soft tissue are some of the ways that is adopted in chiropractic treatments to help get relief from the excruciating pain.
2) Acupuncture: Acupuncture is another effective treatment of migraine without using any medications. All that is required is to insert fine needles in the pressure point. It helps in offering a better quality of life which is worth exploring.
3) Biofeedback: This therapy has been designed to control the body’s response. Breathing exercises, visualization and meditations are some of the methods adopted for the treatment.
Apart from these alternative treatments following a healthy lifestyle will also be helpful in controlling the severity and occurrences of migraine. Healthy eating habits, following a proper diet plan, sleeping in time etc are some of the things that should be kept in mind. For immediate relief following are some of the things that you can do:
1) Wash your face with cool water, then apply some ice packs on your head and lie down in a dark cool room.
2) Sleep is one of the best ways though it is not always possible to sleep with such agonizing pain.
3) Give special importance to what you eat. Certain food can trigger migraine so watch what you eat.
4) Maintain a healthy BMI as researches have shown that those who are in shape don’t usually suffer from migraine.
Migraine is one such condition which is quite difficult to deal with. And one can simply do nothing much to cure or prevent the condition. To a certain extent, you can deal with the condition by lying down in a quite dark room. But if the condition is accompanied with seizures, severe confusion, then consult your doctor without any delay.
Also read on to know about the migraine researches that have been going on for quite sometime now. Your comments and views are valuable to us, so feel free to share it with us.