This is a very common problem encountered while shaving. Both men and women can develop this sort of skin irritation. Frustrating Razor Burns can be easily cured at home with the help of numerous natural home remedies for Razor Burns. An important tip in this regard would be to prefer sharp and new razors over dull and old razors to prevent the chances of having Razor Burns.
The use of disposable razors is highly beneficial in this regard. Men can use these razors 4-5 times and women can use such razors 2-3 times before disposing them. The affected area should not be shaved until it gets healed completely to avoid further skin irritation.
Causes and Symptoms of Razor Burns
Razor Burns are caused by the use of metal razors with dull blades. Improper shaving techniques like shaving too closely or by applying excessive pressure can also be held responsible for the same. Besides, sensitive areas like the areas bearing cuts, pimples, etc are susceptible to Razor Burns. Lack of adequate lubrication on the area being shaved increases the chances of developing these rashes.
Repeated shaving may lead to tiny cuts and lesions on the skin thereby increasing the chances of developing bacterial infection. Minute hair particles tend to become entrapped within the surface of the skin due to close shaving.
Scrubbing or exfoliating before shaving helps to get rid of dead skin and brings out ingrown hair prior to shaving. Lack of cleanliness during the process of shaving contributes in causing Razor Burns.
Razor Burns are characterized by skin irritations followed by the formation of mild rashes on the affected area. These rashes or bumps on the skin are red in color and are accompanied by symptoms like pain, inflammation, itchiness and a burning sensation. Razor Burns tend to few within a few hours or days depending on the severity of the wound.
Natural Home Remedies for Razor Burns
• Before shaving, apply a warm wash cloth on the area to be shaved to soften the hair, moisturize the skin and hence avoid Razor Burns. After shaving, rinse the area with cold water or use ice cube on the area to help close the pores.
• While shaving, do not shave the hair against the grain of the hair. Instead, shave the hair along the direction of hair growth to prevent Razor Burns to a great deal. In addition, apply less pressure while getting rid of unwanted hair.
• Prior to shaving, applying a thin layer of jojoba or avocado oil for lubrication on the area to be shaved is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Razor Burns treatment.
• Crush two strawberries and add a teaspoon of sour cream in it. After shaving, apply this paste on the affected area for about ten minutes and then rinse it with warm water. This home remedy should be applied a few times, at least twice a week to heal Razor Burns naturally. Tomato pulp can also be used instead of strawberries.
• Simply applying olive oil is one of the most popular and equally effective therapeutic home remedies for Razor Burns.
• Soak a cloth in cold chamomile tea and place it on the affected area. Leave it for about 15 minutes. Alternatively, a cold chamomile tea bag can also be used for this purpose to cure Razor Burns naturally.
• Oatmeal bath serves as one of the most trusted home remedies for Razor Burns on the legs. Soak the legs in the warm oatmeal bath for about 20 minutes to relieve the problem.
• Tea tree oil diluted with a little bit of water can be sprayed on the affected area to get rid of Razor Burns.
• The application of cocoa butter is highly beneficial in easing Razor Burns related pain and irritation.
• Placing slices of peeled potato on the affected area is useful in reducing Razor burns and healing them successfully.
Homemade after shave lotions:
• Prepare a homemade after shave lotion by mixing one tablespoon dried calendula flowers, one tablespoon dried comfrey leaves and half cup witch hazel extract. Keep this preparation aside for about two weeks and then add strain the mixture.
• Then, add a quarter cup of rose water, five drops of lavender essential oil, five drops of sandalwood essential oil and a quarter teaspoon of vegetable glycerin in a quarter cup of the witch hazel mixture. Finally, store this natural remedy in cool place and use it has a natural after shave after shaking the mixture well.
• Another after shave lotion can be prepared at home with the help of five tablespoons of orange flower water, five tablespoons of cider vinegar, three tablespoons of witch hazel, 10 drops of lemon essential oil, 15 drops of bergamot essential oil and 8 drops of neroli essential oil.
• Mix the ingredients well and keep it aside for a week before using it. Using homemade after shave lotions is one of the best natural home remedies for Razor Burns prevention as well as cure.
• Another home remdy would to prepare a similar after shave lotion by combining olive oil, and herbs like rosemary, juniper, clove, cinnamon, sage, cedar etc.
Diet for Razor Burns
No specific diet is recommended in dealing with Razor Burns. Still, a healthy diet rich in vitamin C and vitamin E is beneficial for skin in general. It helps to facilitate the process of healing.